As a working tribute to the Gulf of Carpentaria’s early pioneers, the Gulflander is a once in a lifetime experience
Take a journey aboard the legendary Gulflander for a rail journey unlike any other. Originally built to connect the once bustling river port of Normanton with the rich gold fields of Croydon, today the Gulflander is a tourism icon.
Also known as the ‘Tin Hare’, this legendary rail motor is one of the last great characters of the rail world. From wetlands and grasslands to arid Savannah territory, the Gulflander travels countryside most people will never see.
This nostalgic rail journey is the perfect way to discover an area steeped in pioneering history and heritage.
Normanton was the port for the Croydon Gold Rush and is a terminus of the Normanton Railway Station which features preserved Victorian architecture. Just 30 kilometres south west of Normanton is camp 119, Burke and Wills’ most northerly camp.
Croydon is a small town with a big history which started with the discovery of gold in 1885. With Barramundi fishing year round, Lake Belmore is located just four kilometres from Croydon.
As the Gulflander only carries a small number of passengers, you will experience a friendly atmosphere which adds to the charm. Enjoy morning tea en route as the on board accredited Savannah Guides keep you entertained with trivia, species identification, amusing stories and colourful characters.
Tour Departs Cairns 12 July 2016
- Charter Flight (1.5 hours) ex Cairns to Karumba
- GULFLANDER TRAIN Normanton to Croydon
- Coach from Croydon to Cairns
- All transfers ex Karumba enroute to Croydon
- Ferryman Sunset Cruise at Karumba – You haven’t seen a Great Sunset ‘til you’ve seen the sun set over the water at Karumba – Cruise includes Seafood/Fruit Platter & drinks on board
- 3 Nights Accommodation— End of the Road Motel’ Karumba, Croydon, ‘Bedrock Village’ Mt Surprise
- 3 Cooked Breakfasts & 1 Morning Tea at Blackbull
- BBQ Lunch at Woodleigh Station, Ravenshoe
- 3 Dinners – Including a Beachfront BBQ at Karumba Plus ***A Special Dinner & Sunset Train ride *** Traditional Cattle Station meal at old Golden Gate Railway Station while you watch the golden sunset in the west
- Entry to the Terrestrial Museum Georgetown
- “Time Tour- Then & Now” (Local guide) 2 hour bus tour of Historic Croydon
- Woodleigh Station – Guided Tour & BBQ Lunch
- Tour Host
4 Days/ 3 Nights $1,897 pp/ts
Please click on the flyer below
For more information Contact Senior Traveller Tours & Getaways