The Sunlander is one of the great Australian train journeys and travels along coastal Queensland. After 61 years of service the train is retiring at the end of 2014. Your chance now to travel on this sentimental train for one last time as you join me on an Escorted Group Tour to the largest SAND ISLAND in the world……..FRASER ISLAND naturally.
Departs Cairns on Tuesday 7 October 2014 (passengers can also embark at any railway station south of Cairns) Returns to Cairns Monday 13 October 2014 *VALUE PACKED ITINERARY INCLUDES –
- 4 Nights Accommodation staying at Kingfisher Bay Resort All rooms have balconies overlooking the Lake
- 4 Breakfasts – 4 Lunches – 4 Dinners – 2 Morning Teas
- 4WD Island Beauty Spots Tour -See the famous Maheno shipwreck- Ancient Rainforest valley Wanggoolba Creek – the old logging village of Central Station – Lake Mackenzie – The Pinnacles – Eurong Beach on the surf side of the island for lunch
- Half Day Whale Watching Cruise
- Bush Tucker Talk ‘n Taste to demonstrate cuisine created from native ingredients
- Great Sandy Staits Ranger Guided Interpretive Tour
- Sunset Welcome Drink on the Island
- Return Transfers ex Harvey Bay to Fraser Island
- Queensland Rail Bookings arranged for you
- Fun Tour Host to make sure your holiday stays on track
NB: Qld Rail Travel costs not included in package – Single/Twin Sleepers and Economy seats available Use your Qld or Interstate Pension concession- Senior Card – Adult Group Discount available Single supplement at the Resort
Put all your winter woollies away, come and see spectacular Fraser Island in the Spring !
Contact us for more information and Bookings
We had a ‘Whale of Time’ at Kingfisher Bay Resort, Fraser Island…..we will go back!
The return travel with Qld Rail from Cairns to Maryborough West on one of the Sunlander’s final journeys was a very sentimental part of this tour.
Our stay at Kingfisher Bay exceeded expectations. The hotel style rooms were very roomy and all had verandahs with lake views.. a beautiful environment ideal for our 4 night visit!
All the day tours were enjoyed by everyone and in particular the 4WD tour with David to Central Station when we saw 8 dingoes and 3 puppies with a dingo escort leading the coach as we travelled along the sand tracks to our destination. The lush Rainforest and boardwalk here was such a contrast to the not too distant 75 Mile Beach. The 15 min scenic flight that takes off along the beach is a “must do” while you’re here.
A bush setting morning tea followed by a swim in the clear waters of the freshwater Lake Mackenzie was a relaxing stop during our journey to Eurong Beach on the surf side of the Island for our lunch break. So much history, beauty and serenity in these surrounds.
Perfect weather again for our Whale Watching cruise as we were delighted by the dolphins, turtles and in awe of the mother and baby whales as they swam near the boat for many Kodak moments.
After some specially prepared sample cocktails from the bar, Sous Chef Nathan introduced us to new and exciting flavours during the Bush Tucker Talk & Taste, as he demonstrated how he uses native ingredients to create 5 star cuisine at Seabelle Restaurant within the resort.
Our meals at Maheno Restaurant were delicious, more than adequate and so well presented. The buffet breakfast self serve pancake maker was a hit with the guests and a tasty treat to start the day.
Fraser Island is a showcase of Nature at its very best so if you didn’t make it for this tour stay in touch as I will be arranging another one in 2015…can’t wait !!